11 June 2019, the dive community was shocked and saddened by the unexpected loss of Andy Phillips. Prior to his untimely passing, Andy Phillips worked as a dive professional for over 20 years, traveling throughout Southeast Asia, South Africa, Australia, Micronesia, South America, Central America, the Caribbean and the Red Sea. Awarded the PADI Platinum status Course Director every year from its inception in 2003 until his death, during his career Andy conducted more than 170 Instructor Development Courses and trained more than 3,000 instructors at all levels. As the director of professional training at the Utila Dive Centre, a PADI Career Development Centre in the Bay Islands of Honduras, Andy did what he felt he did best. “My job is to encourage as many divers as possible to live the life of a dive professional," he once said, "And explore, conserve and enjoy this beautiful planet, both above and below the surface, at recreational and technical levels." In addition to his numerous PADI credentials, Phillips also held a Master of Science in e-commerce, spoke at the annual DEMA diver trade show on several occasions and advised PADI Worldwide on issues ranging from dive retail to instructor training.
Andy has been designated PADI Ambassadiver permanently.
- PADI Platinum Course Director 2003 – 2019
- In 2016, organized and led a recreational/technical expedition to Truk Lagoon and Palau, Micronesia
- In 2015, organized and led the largest closed-circuit rebreather expedition to Darwin/Wolf Islands, Galapagos
- In 2013, joined an expedition to dive the Andrea Doria shipwreck
- In 2006, was a safety and support diver for a Bay Islands mega yacht cruise
- In 2004, conducted search and recovery trimix dives to 300 feet (90 metres) for downed US$2 million “Eurocopter”
- In 2014, was a speaker for DEMA DiveNewsWorks, “How to Hire and be Hired: Succeeding in Today’s Dive Industry”
- In 2011, was a speaker for DEMA PADI Live Seminar, “Succeeding in Instructor Development”
- In 2010, was a speaker for DEMA Mini-Seminar, “Excelling in Niche Markets in the Dive Industry”
- In 2010, at the UK Dive Show spoke about coral reef surveying
- In 2009, was a speaker at DEMA’s “Believe” seminar on innovation in the dive industry
- In 2007, was a speaker at DEMA’s Beautiful Oceans seminar