About the Course
Want to find out what scuba diving is like before deciding to get your PADI Open Water Diver scuba diving certification? During a Discover Scuba® Diving experience, you can try scuba diving for the first time in a pool or calm water environment.
A highly-trained PADI® Professional will provide scuba gear, explain basic scuba diving skills and answer any questions you may have.
Take This Course If You Want to
Learn How to
Try Scuba Diving
Prepare for your Discover Scuba Diving experience with PADI DSD eLearning™. Use your computer or mobile device to learn diving safety fundamentals before you get in the water.
Contact a PADI Dive Shop or PADI Professional for access to DSD eLearning and to schedule your first scuba diving experience.
- eLearning time commitment: 20-30 min
With Your Instructor
- Prerequisites: None
- Total time commitment: 2-3 hours
- Minimum age: 10
Want to share the experience or give the gift of endless adventure? You can now purchase PADI eLearning® and share it with a recipient of your choice! Whether you are purchasing the course as a gift or need to assign the it to family members – it’s super easy.
- Once you purchase your eLearning course, you can log-in to your PADI account to access the course.
- From your Dashboard go to Student Details and Manage Your Courses.
- You can then decide to Start the eLearning yourself or ‘Share the course’.
- To share the course, simply click on ‘Share the Course’ and enter the email address of the recipient you wish to share the course with.
- The recipient will receive an email to create or log-in to their PADI Account to start the course.
Scuba diving requires a minimum level of health and fitness. Chronic health conditions, certain medications and/or recent surgery may require you to get written approval from a physician before diving.
Avoid disappointment, download and review the Diver Medical form to ensure you won’t need a physician’s approval to dive before enrolling in a scuba course. Instructors, divemasters and dive shop staff are not physicians and should not be asked for medical advice; only medical professionals can give medical clearance to dive.
If you (or your physician) have questions about medical fitness to dive, contact the experts at Divers Alert Network (DAN).
You can try scuba diving at a local dive shop or while traveling.
Choose a dive shop close to home to:
- Support a local business
- Meet dive buddies in your local area
- Learn about your local ecosystem
Choose a dive shop away from home if you:
- Plan to travel to a dive destination on holiday
- Like to meet new people when traveling
The dive shop or PADI Professional will likely provide all the equipment you'll need. Just bring a swimsuit and a towel.
The total cost depends on class size (private versus group) and whether your Discover Scuba DIving experience includes an open water dive. Contact a PADI Dive Center or Resort for more information and pricing.
DSD eLearning is designed to work on Android™ and Apple® iOS devices and on the computer browsers listed below:
For the best laptop or desktop computer experience, make sure your browser is up-to-date.
For the ideal mobile experience, devices should be no more than three models old and running with the most current OS (operating system).
Discover Scuba Diving isn’t a certification, but you can apply what you learned toward a PADI Open Water Diver certification. Ask the dive shop or your PADI Professional for more information.