The PADI Tec 40 course is where you transition from recreational diving to technical diving. It's a natural progression from Tec Basics, or it can be your first tec diver course. It is the bridge between no stop diving and technical decompression diving. You will gain experience and begin building the knowledge and skills you need to continue your tec diver training. You will qualify to make limited decompression dives to 40 metres/130 feet and use up to 50 percent oxygen as a decompression gas.
To enroll in the Tec 40 course, you must meet these qualifications:
- PADI Advanced Open Water Diver, and PADI Rescue Diver recommended
- PADI Enriched Air Diver
- PADI Deep Diver or proof of 10 dives to 30 metres/100 feet or deeper
- 30 logged dives
- 18 years old
You also need to have a Diver Medical Form signed by a physician within the last 12 months.
Note that qualifying certifications from other diver training organizations may apply - ask your PADI Tec 40 Instructor.
The Tec 40 course consists of seven knowledge development sections, four practical application sessions and four training dives. You'll learn about:
- Technical diving risks and responsibilities
- Technical diving equipment, dive equipment configuration, and use
- Team diving and communication
- Decompression and gas planning using dive planning software
- Team diving techniques and emergency procedures to deal with free flows and out of gas situations
- Thinking Like a Technical Diver
- Handling Underwater Problems
- Introduction to Trimix (for Tec 40 Trimix students)
For information on other available languages please contact your PADI Dive Center.
You'll dive Air or EANx, including up to 50 percent enriched air for decompression. If you’re taking the Tec 40 Trimix Diver course you’ll also use trimix.
Tec 40 Trimix (option)
Curious about the benefits of using Trimix gas, like decreased gas density and reduced narcosis? Tec 40 divers can also learn to use trimix with not less than 21 percent oxygen and not more than 35 percent helium. Ask your instructor what additional requirements you may need to complete the Tec 40 Trimix option.