About the Course
Take This Course If You Want to
Learn How to
How to Become a Divemaster
With Your Instructor
- Prerequisites: Rescue Diver, 40 logged dives, CPR and First Aid certification within 24 months, medical clearance to dive
- Minimum age: 18 years or older
Want to share the experience or give the gift of endless adventure? You can now purchase PADI eLearning® and share it with a recipient of your choice! Whether you are purchasing the course as a gift or need to assign the it to family members – it’s super easy.
- Once you purchase your eLearning course, you can log-in to your PADI account to access the course.
- From your Dashboard go to Student Details and Manage Your Courses.
- You can then decide to Start the eLearning yourself or ‘Share the course’.
- To share the course, simply click on ‘Share the Course’ and enter the email address of the recipient you wish to share the course with.
- The recipient will receive an email to create or log-in to their PADI Account to start the course.
Scuba diving requires a minimum level of health and fitness. Chronic health conditions, certain medications and/or recent surgery may require you to get written approval from a physician before diving.
Avoid disappointment, download and review the Diver Medical form to ensure you won’t need a physician’s approval to dive before enrolling in a scuba course. Instructors, divemasters and dive shop staff are not physicians and should not be asked for medical advice; only medical professionals can give medical clearance to dive.
If you (or your physician) have questions about medical fitness to dive, contact the experts at Divers Alert Network (DAN).
Minimum Age: 18
Course prerequisites: Rescue Diver certification, CPR and first aid training within the past 24 months, medically fit to dive
Choosing a Dive Shop
You can complete this course locally or while travelling.
Choose a dive shop close to home if you:
- Would like to get hired in your local area
- Have limited vacation time
- Prefer a low-pressure training schedule
Choose a dive shop in a different location if you:
- Are keen to learn about a new area
- Want training that isn’t offered locally
- Like to meet new people while travelling
This course requires both independent self-study (known as knowledge development) plus in-person practical training. When you purchase PADI eLearning from our website, the cost covers the knowledge development portion only.
Practical training, equipment and other fees are not included in the eLearning price. The total cost of your training will depend on class size, environment, and other factors. Contact your PADI Dive Center or Resort for information and pricing.
A dive professional should own a set of basic scuba equipment, including a BCD, regulator, dive computer, a dive knife, compass and at least two surface signaling devices.
- Tanks and weights may be provided as part of your course, ask your instructor
- During the course, you’ll also use dive floats, marker buoys, lift bags and slates
Check with your dive center to confirm what equipment you’ll need and what they’ll provide.
PADI eLearning: 15-20 hours
Entire course: 2 weeks
Some divers complete their divemaster training over many months, while others prefer an intense two-week program. As with all PADI courses, the timeline is up to you.
To start the PADI Divemaster course, you must be at least 18 years old, have 40 logged dives, hold a Rescue Diver (or equivalent) certification and have Emergency First Response® (or equivalent) CPR and first aid training within the past 24 months. If you need CPR and first aid refresher training, your PADI Instructor can add it to your divemaster program, just ask.
Having 60 dives is an exit requirement, but you'll likely do enough diving during the course to meet it.
PADI’s online courses are designed to work on the browsers listed below. For the best experience, make sure your browser is up-to-date.
If you plan to be somewhere without internet access, use the PADI Training app to download small sections of the course so you can study offline. When you have a strong internet connection again, upload your progress and resume your training right where you left off.
The PADI Training app is available for Android™ and Apple® iOS devices. For the ideal experience, devices should be no more than three models old and running with the most current OS (operating system).
- Assist PADI Instructors with training and non-training scuba diving activities
- Accompany certified PADI Scuba Divers and Open Water Divers on dives
- Assist with Discover Scuba Diving® programs
- Teach PADI ReActivate®, scuba refresher, Discover Snorkeling and PADI Advanced Snorkeler courses
- Lead Discover Local Diving programs
PADI Divemasters can also organize conservation activities and teach ocean conservation courses with additional training, a great way to establish yourself as a local diving expert and generate income topside.