Who should take this course?
Underwater photography is one of the most popular diving specialties, and with so many underwater cameras to choose from, it has become easier and more fun than ever to capture images of your underwater scuba adventures. The PADI Digital Underwater Photographer course gets you going quickly, whether you use a point-and-shoot camera or a sophisticated dSLR like the pros.
PADI (Junior) Open Water Divers who are at least 10 years old are eligible to take the Digital Underwater Photographer course.
Because underwater photography is also popular with snorkelers, there is an option for avid snorkelers and skin divers to complete the course. Check with your PADI Dive Center or Resort if this interests you.
What will you learn?
Through hands-on training during two scuba dives and guidance from your PADI Professional, you’ll discover:
- How to choose the right underwater camera system for you.
- The PADI SEA (Shoot, Examine, Adjust) method for getting great shots quickly.
- Principles for good composition of underwater images.
- Practical techniques to take great photos with your digital camera.
How can you start learning now?
Sign up for Digital Underwater Photographer Online – PADI’s eLearning option – to get started immediately. The web-based system guides you through the principles of great underwater photography, with a bonus section on underwater imaging (including video). You study at your own pace through an easy-to-use, interactive program. You also have access to an online version of the Digital Underwater Photographer Manual.
You can also choose to read the paper version of the Digital Underwater Photographer Manual. Stop by your local PADI Dive Center and Resort to enroll in the course, get your materials and start learning. Your PADI Professional will meet with you to schedule knowledge review sessions along with your dives.
What scuba gear will you use?
Beyond using basic scuba equipment, you’ll need a digital underwater camera and a computer or other device for downloading and viewing your images. Your PADI Pro may suggest additional equipment and accessories depending on your camera system. Visit your local dive center to get advice about everything you need for your underwater photography adventures.
Shoot like a pro and earn your next certification:
- Sign up for Digital Underwater Photographer Online and start learning right away.
- Enroll in a PADI Digital Underwater Photographer course at your PADI Dive Center or Resort.
- Browse the PADI Course Catalog.
- Check out the PADI Master Scuba Diver rating.