The Ocean Action Project focuses on two major ocean issues—shark and ray protection and marine debris. Every project that is set in motion has a goal to make a change and is designed to get results. In 2012, there were five different Ocean Action Projects started with help from Project AWARE as well as PADI. To be eligible for the Ocean Action Project, entrants must create a plan that will strongly influence change where needed and have a positive impact.
This year, the Project AWARE Foundation received 84 applications worldwide for the 2013 Ocean Action Project and 10 Finalists were selected by the Board for public voting in December.
Congratulations to the following winners:
- Thailand eShark Project, Shark Guardian, Thailand
- The Great Fiji Count, Fiji Dive Operators, Fiji Islands
- Protecting Sharks and Rays from Fishing Boats in the Andaman Sea, Blue Guru Conservation, Thailand
- Ecotourism and Awareness for Manta Ray Conservation, Planeta Oceano, Peru
- What Goes Around Comes Around – Communicating Marine Debris Science Through Visual Arts, The Plastic Ocean Project, USA
- This Project is Rubbish! South African Shark Conservancy, South Africa
For more info visit: www.projectaware.org/update/new-wave-ocean-action-begins